Re: A89: Re: File API

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: File API

Hi!

How about this:

make libraries that store information about the symbols implemented by each
object file, run the linker with no object files, and then look up which
object files have to be linked using the errors reported.  On 'Build', the
IDE would do the same thing again, otherwise it would just keep all object
files and add new ones as necessary.  Using the IDE, I could completely hide
this process from the user.

The only disadvantage would be that linking would take up a lot more time
with many files, but then the implementations are out of the header files.
Also, all linker bugs would absolutely have to be fixed, so that people
don't get confused like I did with Longmul/Longdiv.  I can imagine a very
long period of private beta-testing.  Oh well...

Sebastian Reichelt