Re: A89: Me distributing roms

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Me distributing roms

Serial wrote:
> what
> if you didn't know you had netbus on your comp and one day you found a bunch
> of roms on your hard drive, would that then not be your property to do with
> as you please anyway?

No, it is not your property.  I suppose you would think the same way if you were caught
with cocaine and a handgun at an airport which someone else placed in your luggage.  It
would be yours to do with as you please, right?  And since it's in your luggage, then you
are the one that gets a trial because of it.

What's that, Serial?  Oh, you must have a double standard.  I suppose as you mature you
will eventually produce something of value which you will sell...  Except you won't mind
it if people don't respect the copyrights you have to certian materials because "They have
netbus on their computer, and someone else placed it there."

You err in thinking that the laws that guide physical interaction do not apply to internet
interaction.

> The method of recieving them is important but who
> gives ti the right to say I cannot give you a file,

The government has given them the right to all material they produce themselves.  If you
do not like it, move to another country where the gov't doen't have those laws.

> If you try to copyright
> a binary sequence from which it's origin is partially unknown or something
> wierd who has to take responsibility when that person uses the rom.

The end user has the responsibility to find that out.  You know as well as I that you (as
in YOU, serial) can find out who produced the material in the first place.  You can tell
by it's quality that someone made it at great expense (time, energy, materials, etc) and
that they would not have given it away.

> I think
> the bottom line is public domain means something different to each of us.

That may be true, but it has a VERY specific meaning as far as the law is concerned.  You
would do well to pull your definition in line with the definition you would be tried under
if you were caught.

> Because the interent is a rather anonomolus creation you may download a
> picture and when you open it, you get a photoshop installer. For you to tell
> me that a file I can access while being BLIND is not public domain is for me
> to decide and you to complain about.

Please see the airport analogy above.  What you are saying here is you have your own rules
you follow, something along the lines of, "I can do as I please, and as long as I'm ok
with it, everyone else just has to deal with it."

> Your morals may keep you from
> downloading it but I know what I am allowed and disallowed from doing and
> until a supreme court justice works out this issue, keep living life in
> limited mode and believe everything you hear.

A supreme court justice?  Hello?  Is anyone home?

This is SUCH a trivial non-issue that it doesn't even need to go that high.  The laws are
there, and they are enforced.

I sincerely hope that you soon will be burnt by someone else who has the same values as
you.

-Adam

Follow-Ups: References: