A89: Re: Assembly-89 Digest V1 #864

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Re: Assembly-89 Digest V1 #864

I don't expect this to change anyone's mind, but I just want to make a
few points.

You're still wrong.  Althogh MS would be stupid to put the Windows source
on the web, that doesn't in any way take away their rights to do as they
wish with it.  Software does not become public domain until the author
makes it public domain, no matter what the company does with it.  They
could burn a set of CD's containing the Windows source and put them on a
platter in front of MS headquarters, but until they decide to let people
have them, it is illegal to take them.  Just because people like you
would abuse a situation like this doesn't make it legal or right.  You
can rationalize it as much as you want, but it doesn't change the facts.

On a slightly separate note, Microsoft would not go bankrupt, either,
just because there are far more people willing to do the right thing and
buy Windows than go hunt it down on warez sites.  Think about it:  Do you
think the average man would go hunting for hours to go find a working,
virus free copy?  I don't think so.  Despite the way they got in the
position they are in, the right thing to do is buy the software they
worked for years on instead of stealing it.  Besides, they will get
what's coming to them when the government desides what to do about their
monopoly tactics.

Finally, earlier today, I read a message about a lawnmower analogy.  It
said something about taking a lawnmower just because it doesn't have a
sign saying not to take it.  Well imagine you have an "object
duplicator".  Would it be right to sneak into a lawnmower manufacturor's
headquaters and copy yourself a lawnmower?  No, because if you need a
lawnmower, that's one less lawnmower sold by the company.

-Alan