RE: A89: Me distributing roms.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A89: Me distributing roms.

> I subscribe to MaximumPC magazine (formerly boot).  IBM made
> this RAMDisk as
> an experimental device, although it couldn't even touch on
> the performance
> Magnus is talking about.  The RAMDisk only used a lowly dual
> SCSI-2 external
> connection.

The problem in this case is that SCSI-2 is *way* too slow. A RAMdisk could
be connected directly to the system bus. Then get a system with multiple
memory busses / CPU, and with multiple CPUs, and you are at least closing in
on it.

But not in reality :-) You'd of course use a load-sharing cluster with say
800Mbit each or so (can easily be done with normal mainstream x86 servers)

//mha