Re: A89: Difference between "AMS 2.0x" and "HW 2.00" designation on tica

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Difference between "AMS 2.0x" and "HW 2.00" designation on ticalc.org?

well, close.  there are 16 to be mathematically complete.
if each of the following are binary possibilities: where 1 is yes and 0 is
no
HW1Compatible  (bit 3)
HW2Compatible  (bit 2)
AMS1Compatible (bit 1)
AMS2Compatible (bit 0)

And so:
1111
1110
1101
1100
1011
1010
1001
1000
0111
0110
0101
0100
0011
0010
0001
0000
or 2^4=16 possible states.  althought some of these are unlikely, such as:

not compatible with anything (0000)
not compatible with any AMS, but works on both hardware versions (1100)
not compatible with any HW versions, but works on both AMSs (0011)
not compatible with any HW versions, but works on AMS1.0x (0001)
not compatible with any HW versions, but works on AMS2.0x (0010)
not compatible with any AMS, but works on HW1 (0100)
not compatible with any AMS, but works on HW2 (1000)

others can happen too though:

only works on HW1, AMS1.0x (0101)
only works on HW2, AMS2.0x (1010)
only works on HW1, AMS2.0x (0110)
only works on HW2, AMS1.0x (1001)

so you see, the answer of 16 is a possible number of states, but since 7 of
them are invalid, not accurate of the problem.  so how do we arrive at the
correct answer, 9?
well, we combine the two low order bits and the two high order bits. since
at all times, one of the bottom two bits has to be one, and one of the upper
two bits has to be one, we can provide new rangenames:
HW:  0=HW1, 1=HW2, 2=both
AMS: 0=AMS1.0x, 1=AMS2.0x, 2=both
since each range has is a trinary unit, and we have two ranges, we simply:
3^2=9
and that is the correct number of possible combinations for our problem.

hehehe

--kaus

PS This was fun.  dont worry bryan, it wasnt meant to be a nitpicking
"YOU'RE WRONG!" message.  I was just rambling. :)