A89: loop: Archive unarchive rearchive (scream)... goto loop;

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: loop: Archive unarchive rearchive (scream)... goto loop;

Hi guys!
    I've been working on a program and have it finished, but have one thing
left to do before i release it.
As it stands, the program on occasion needs to modify a variable temporarily
before returning the variable to its original state. Currently my program
just looks to see if the variable is archived and if it is then it will
unarchive the variable do its thing, and then rearchive the variable. I
don't know much about the flash mem, but this seems to me that the flash mem
would wear out after a while and this is something i'd rather not contribute
to...
    In order to solve this problem, i've tried using EM_twinSymFromExtMem,
but have not gotten it to work satisfactorily. This probably stems from my
lack of understanding of what this does. I can get it to make the variable
disappear, so that tells me that a twin symbol was created, but after that i
don't know what goes on. Do i need to create another handle and do a memcpy?

So my question is what is the best way to deal with this situation in my
program, unarchive rearchive or create a twin symbol or something else? If
the twin symbol is the way to go, could some one explain it to me so i can
make it work (keep in mind that the var is not necessarily archived).

thanks for your time and help,

Greg
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the
parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't
get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a
hammer.
-- IBM maintenance manual, 1925