Re: A89: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grayscale troubles

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grayscale troubles

> However, HW2 grayscale is still lower quality than HW1.  Somebody should
> work on that. We still must not have it synchronized yet.  Or, maybe the
> LCD runs off a different timer in HW2, so it's impossible to synchronize!

Thank you for your encouragement.  We enjoy nothing more than being told we
should do something from somebody who shows no knowledge whatsoever of how
grayscale is implemented on a calculator other than the basic "changing the
screen very fast."  And synchronize is much more than a buzzword, so please
don't use it if you don't know what it means - your last sentence makes NO
SENSE WHATSOEVER.  If we have two rates, one being constant and the other
being variable, then you should always be able to synchronize them; however,
proper grayscale implementation requires much more than that, and
synchronization is not the only problem at hand.

However, the auto-int 5 rate can only be adjusted to a certain degree of
precision, thus implying that it will probably never be perfectly
synchronized, thus always generating these problems.

> I forgot TI is so arrogant they think everyone will only want to use their
> (slow) software interface instead of directly accessing the hardware.
Darn!

Wow, you have managed to both entirely miss the point of the SDK _and_ make
an unfair accusation against TI while still sliding in the sly complain
about speed _and_ an interjection expressing anger and dissapointment, all
in a mere two lines.

Take my word for it, were you to be in possession of an SDK, you would
realize that TI's APIs are amazingly well designed and very, very, very
impressive.  They serve their purpose perfectly.  Yet I myself am surprised
am surprised they're actually gonna release these things at all, considering
that the people who want them won't even be properly using them.  The
software interface is fast, uses relatively small amounts of data, and
creates a great user inteface.  Oh, and it allows for an amazing level of
integration into TIOS.  So, if you don't like the fact that the SDK is meant
to program useful applications that interact with the operating system, then
when it comes out you can stick to your TI-GCC lib and the rest of us will
go on using the SDK.

I was very disappointed by the content - expected a lot more, and hopefully
we've convinced them to add some more useful entry points.  But at least I
have a great deal of respect for the amazing amount of work put into it -
with little to no profitability - and how damn good a job it does of
accomplishing what TI intended for it.

And for the rest of you, sorry about flaming via the list.  But I'm sick of
people who don't know what they're talking about and asking for when they
make comments like "Somebody should work on that."  And don't make me go
into how offtopic the "teachers, games, and TI calc grayscale" thread is
becoming.

    -Scott