A89: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grayscale troubles

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grayscale troubles

Hi!

> Whether the flicker has been corrected is a matter of opinion
> and open to interpretation. Having written the original HW2
> grayscale code and being a HW2 owner (since my HW1 was stolen),
> I can tell you that the amount of flicker is, in my opinion,
> certainly NOT acceptable compared to what it could be. I've
> proposed some changes before on this list, although I believe
> Zeljko rejected most of them on the basis that his testers said
> it was sufficient.
>
> Zeljko, take my word for it - there's a very prominent level of
> flicker even when nothing is happening, such as TI-Chess' idle
> periods. And it's not just me; when I got my HW2 and would play
> TI-Chess in school everyone commented that the flicker was
> annoying.  I'll rewrite the code myself, but I don't think that
> the current code is satisfactory. . .

The main problem is in the fact that I also don't have HW2 calc
to test. But, what is curious to me is the fact that my routine
is practically the same as used in Universal OS, but everyone
says that UniOS gives much better results... I don't know what
is the main reason of flickers, because I can not accept the
argumentations that some size improvements which takes only few
T states may cause such ugly flickers... I am open to any
constructive dialogs about critical points in grayscale routine.

If you can send to me any flickerless grayscale which is not
extremely size-wasting (i.e. with completely unrolled loops),
please send it to me. I will be very happy.

Cheers,

Zeljko