A89: Re: Making a faster map routine

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Re: Making a faster map routine

> Hi.
>    I am trying to make a game but am having a problem.
>  My program lays a map out on the screen using a sort
> of matrix.  But it puts each sprite on the screen one
> at a time.  This is so slow that you can see each
> sprite hitting the screen.  It looks kind of silly and
> if the map is to move then it will be incredibly slow.
>  Would it be faster to copy all the sprites for the
> screen to one location and then copy that to the
> screen.  If so, then how would you do that?  If not
> then can somebody think of a faster way then putting
> each sprite on the screen one by one.  becouse I have
> spent a month trying ideas and optimizing and now I am
> stuck.  Thanks.

If the sprites are any multiple of 8 in width you shouldn't plot them with a
normal sprite function, even if you want to scroll pixel-by-pixel. Plot your
sprites (by yourself) into a buffer that's one sprite too wide and one sprite
too high, then copy-and-shift that buffer onto the LCD.

 / Niklas Brunlid
Check out Prosit for the TI-89 / TI-92+ at http://prosit.ticalc.org
Random PQF Quote follows:

A Thaum is the basic unit of magical strength. It has been universally
established as the amount of magic needed to create one small white pigeon
or three normal sized billiard balls.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic)