A89: Various 68K/TI89 things

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Various 68K/TI89 things

As a Z80 programmer trying to learn 68K, I wonder about a few things.

First, what is this stuff about handles and the heap?  Are handles sort
of like they work in Windows, where they provide a number that represents
a system object?  How large is the heap?

Second, why doesn't the 68K like odd addresses?  Do the assemblers
basically handle this for you, because I don't see very much use of the
EVEN directive.

Third, although the 89 ROM was much larger than any of the Z80 ROMs, I
think the C programming is screwy for ASM programmers because you have to
push arguments for ROM calls. I admit that this method has its
advantages, but it is mostly annoying.  In addition, I think the ROM
could have been written much more reliably.  I have never had so many
calculator crashes related to Line 1111 Emulator errors and things like
that.  It gets so annoying.  I have to take a full calculator back up
every time I add a game to my calculator to make sure I can still recover
my programs after the inevitable crashes.  I'm still angry that you lose
your archive memory in addtion to the normal memory, although I can see
why.

Also, why is this language so ugly?  It just looks terrible compared to
Z80.  You might think they would have logical mneumonics, and instead of
packing all 13 or whatever different address modes, have different
mneumonics for them.  For example, I like my imaginary instruction:

	PUSH.W d0,(a0)

much better than:

	MOVE.W do,(a0)-

It makes it much easier to remember commands.  I think I'll just leave
the ASM up to TI-GCC

-Alan

     Webpage- http://www.bigfoot.com/~mastermind5
     Get paid to surf the web-