Re: A89: Ram vs. Archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Ram vs. Archive

> It could, potentially, work like a computer's hard drive, and it DOES with
>  the DoorOS Final Betas.  When a program is to be run, it is moved from the
>  "hard drive" - the archive - to the RAM and executed.  When it is done, it
>  is copied back to the archive.  This is DIFFERENT from previous versions of
>  doors, where the program was NOT copied back to the archive.  I don't think
>  that Xavier is sure which way he's gonna leave it in the end as the new
>  method creates some complications.
Is this why whenever i typically run a large archived program (ie:smq) or in
some cases even a small program not much more than 3k, w/ plenty of archive
space free, i get a "warning: about to garbage collect archive" message upon
exit of the program...if i select yes then it garbage collects (can't be too
healthy to garbage collect every time a program is run) and then returns back
to the shell...but if i select no it gives a memory error and exits BUT W/O
re-archiving the program???  oh, and what complications then are you
referring to?

...Steven