Re: A89: Ram vs. Archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Ram vs. Archive

In a message dated 10/7/99 13:37:37 Eastern Daylight Time,
ticalcnews@yahoo.com writes:

> I don't see any reason why TI came up with such thing
>  as Archive memory.  It's basically just RAM.  If it
>  was something different than RAM then when you reset
>  your calculator, only RAM should have reset and
>  everything on archive memory should still be there.
>  before i had 89, i thought archive memory was just
>  like harddrive on computer.  instead of say archive
>  memory, they could have just said "over 500k of RAM".

Dude, it's NOT ram.  There is a physical difference--ram isn't just something
that's cleared on a reset.  And the fact of the matter is the archive isn't
cleared during a reset, it's just that the the vat is in ram, so it loses
track of what's in the archive.  That's why archive utility can save data.

----
Jonah Cohen
<ComAsYuAre@aol.com>
http://linux.hypnotic.org/~jonah/