From: owner-assembly-89@lists.ticalc.org
[mailto:owner-assembly-89@lists.ticalc.org]On Behalf Of Scott Noveck
Sent: Friday, October 01, 1999 4:29 PM
To: assembly-89@lists.ticalc.org
Subject: A89: Phoenix/SMQ/ROM 1.05

To address the recent posts about phoenix and SMQ on the new 89s -- try
downgrading to ROM 1.00 and you should be fine.  This is NOT hardware
related!  The problem is that the Graphlib greyscale routine stores itself
in interrupt 1 -- but with interrupt 1 disabled the TIOS key reading
routines (like those used in TI-BASIC and userlib::idle_loop) will not work.
Graphlib solves this problem by automatically calling the TIOS routines
right after switching the screen.  This is fine in ROM 1.00; however, ROM
1.05 features a slower tios key-reading routine.  This slows down the
greyscale too much, causing the greyscale appearance to fail and the games
to run slower.

I recommend that you go back to ROM 1.00 unless you need 1.05's faster
integration.  The benefits of 1.05 are too much of a hassle with ASM
programs; wait for ROM 2.00 instead.  FYI, you could also run SMQ in black
and white mode.

    -Scott

Follow-Ups: References: