A89: THOSE TI BASTARDS!!!

[Prev][Index][Thread]

A89: THOSE TI BASTARDS!!!

Yes, I'll use whatever language I like.  Tough cookie for you =)

Check out this post from Samir Ribic - the Tezxas guy - on the ticalc
message board:

------------
"I was donkey and downloaded 2.01. Yes, there are good news, 700K of archive
memory, reset resistant archive memory, expandable folders ...

"But: ASSEMBLY PROGRAMS ARE NOW LIMITED TO 8K, NO MORE TO 64K!

"I did test.I made program long 8189 bytes and 8197 bytes. The first one
worked, the second one showed
Error: Argument must be expression
There are many good assembly program longer than 8 K
Tezxas, Zelda 89, and after appearance of GCC will be even more. No one will
work on 2.01. Not mention dirty shells like Doorsos and all programs depends
on them! ROM Dumper from VTI gives address error.

"I knew rumour that new SDK for TI89 will limit free version of it to
generate up to 8K, and many though: "No problem. I will use just a manuals
from free version and continue to use Plusshell or GCC."
But, Texas instruments sabotaged such idea.

"I hope that it is still possible to put program in file(s) other than
assembly program, allocate memory, copy program to it and jump to allocated
block, but I am not yet sure. "

To make a long story short and sum that whole thing up, TI has limited
assembly programs to 8k in order to make us PAY for FLASH APPS - we KNOW
this is intentional =)

I'm looking at a workaround right now (some modified plusshell files), but
this is the reason that the doorsos kernel won't install.  If we can find
some addresses, a .89u patcher should work.  Or, if you want to go the evil
way, we can whip up that serial number modifier for HWr1 calcs and threaten
TI.  Either way, that's really a snobby thing to do. . .

    -Scott