re: Re: A89: the a68k assembler and how it makes machine code

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: Re: A89: the a68k assembler and how it makes machine code

 > ok, I ordered the documentation.  hopefully, it will clear up any problems I have.  Oh yeah,
 > this is probably in the docs, but I can't wait to find out:  how do ram calls work?  and why
 > can't as92 do them yet?  j/w.  Thanks

I am not sure that I understand your problem. The way an assembler
works is fairly simple. The documentation you ordered, however, will
not explain that. Instead, it will have detailed explanations on the
various m68k instructions, their bit-patterns (for not too many
instruction has a fixed hex code) and other aspects of the 68000 CPU,
such as bus timing, electrical characteristics, instruction execution
times etc.

They will *not* explain anything that is TI89 or TI92 specific or
specific to your assembler. They will *not* explain assembler
directives, nor library handling. You won't get any info on label
calculations, relocation techniques and alike.
In fact, Motorola tells you what the chip does when it reads certain
bit patterns from its memory. It will give you absolutely no help with
regards to generating those bit patterns from an assembly source.
The documentation that comes with your assembler is supposed to cover
that area.

It might be wiser if you tried to explain what you actually want
to know or what your actual problem is.

Regards,

Zoltan