Re: A89: Re: A really interesting idea

[Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: A really interesting idea

> > While people seem to hate programming ideas on the list, I think that
this
> > idea is worth bringing up, since it brings up some contraversy as
well.While
> > talking to Miles how cool it would be to permanantly install Tetris
intothe
> > ROM, I was hit with an idea: why not make an application (read: not an
ASM
> > program, an APPLICATION) that could store 16/32/64K worth of stuff?
Inother
> > words, since Doors OS is known to crash the calc for silly reasons like
> > recalling pi or trying to open a 100x100 randmat( matrix (evil grin)
itwould
> > be nice to have a 'clean copy' of Doors OS, Doors Explorer, some
favorite
> > games (read: Tetris and Phoenix) and of course, the libraries sored
> > permanantly and safely in the archive in an area that is not deleted
when
> > memory is cleared.
>
> no user memory is cleared, but the vat is lost, so that's equivalent to
all
> memory being cleared.
> it's possible to store some data in an application like this, but it would
> be easier and more efficient to store a backup of the vat and a checksum
of
> each variable and then just replace the vat entry if the program still
> contains a valid checksum after the crash, regardless of whether it's
> archived or not (of course, the archived data is almost guaranteed to be
> preserved after the crash, whereas the non-archived just has a
highprobability)
> it's a good idea, I didn't realize that the applications weren't cleared
> after a crash or I would have suggested it myself ;-)>

But even if the VAT copy is saved, you'd need a program to recover it -
which would be lost without the VAT

Hmm. . . if a program were created to restore a copy of the archive, and
stored at a certain CONSTANT point in the archive, could you write an
'exec(' string to bsr to the location of this program, which restores the
VAT and archived programs?