Re: A89: Need Help on Artificial Intelligence

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Need Help on Artificial Intelligence

>I have a little pet-project going that is a top-down tank battle game, much in
>the fashion of Bomberman except with tank cannons instead of bombs.  So far
>I've gotten quite a bit done with the engine except for AI.  Has anyone got
>any ideas on a simple way to implement one CPU controlled baddie to go
>patrolling the grid semi-intelligently?  I basically just need it to be like a
>ghost in pacman or something except that is smart enough not to run into fire
>and stuff.

I've never played Bomberman, but I have played quite a bit of pacman and I
do AI research.  The ghosts find pacman by finding which of the four
directions it can travel will move it the most towards pacman.  Example:
If pacman is three tiles down and seven to the right then the ghost would
move right.  The ghosts seem to lock on packman more as the game goes on
because they only "see" pacman some of the time.  When the game first
starts the ghosts only see pacman somewhat like 1/10th of the time.  As the
time goes on though they see him more and more.  Believe it or not, at the
time it came out pacman was cuting edge AI.

	--Nate