Re: A89: Legal Crash Bug?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Legal Crash Bug?

At 16:31 1999-06-22 -0400, you wrote:

>Try this in your code:
>
>mulu.l #9,d7
>
>Nice little crash - anything from Address Error to Illegal Instruction to
>Line 1111/1010 Emulator errors.  It had me up for a few nights.  Simply
>changing it to mulu.w #9,d7 worked (and shaved off some time which I should
>have done the first time around).
>
>My question: WHY?  It's driving me nuts =)

An error in a68k most likely, which generates the wrong opcode. Multiplication
is always done in words, so the .w isn't necessary, and anything else (.l
or .b) should cause at least a warning when compiling. My guess is that a68k
takes the opcode for mulu #9,d7 and then adds some "standard justification
byte"
for .l, which in this case is not a good idea...

--
Jimmy Mårdell                    "Fear is the path to the dark side
mailto:yarin@acc.umu.se           Fear leads to anger

Follow-Ups: References: