Re: A89: TI89 ROM vs HP49 ROM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: TI89 ROM vs HP49 ROM

----Original Message Follows----
From: Josh Cunningham <rogue_ant@hotmail.com>
To: assembly-89@lists.ticalc.org
Subject: A89: TI89 ROM vs HP49 ROM
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 14:50:35 PDT

I would just like to thank all those how responded.  But I feel, I don't
know, like TI is being lazy.  I understand that the Saturn is a special
number crunchier, but the 89 should have blown it out of the water!  But
no... TI decided to not put in the extra effort, not take the 68k CPU to the
fullest, not provide us with the same quality effort that HP did.  Don't get
me wrong, I love my 89, but I feel that some how...we've been cheated.
Cheated of what could have been.  Just think of optimized OS for the 89/92+!
  Not only the obvious speed improvements, but size improvement too.  I am
no expert on Compiled C vs. Asm, but I can tell you that TI would have a
hell of a lot more ROM space to put in more stuff.  They could have put in
an on calc assembler right in the ROM, like HP did, they could have put in
more math functions, they could have increased the numeric accuracy, they
could have increased the number of digits to only be limited by RAM, they
could have done all kinds of things.  BUT instead they decided to take the
easy way out, let HP beat you with just a little bit more work, and a lot
less machine.
The TI89 could have been a lot more, but alas they cheated us.
Maybe some TI guy will read this, and be furious.  Maybe he will take it to
heart, either way I hope someone does read this who can do something about
it, or at least will try.  After all its just my opinion.

Sincerely

Josh Cunningham

     When I began to simply look into what HP was doing a long time ago, I
was very impressed with the way that they had designed their calculators.
(especially the HP48GX)
     I also was very happy when the 89 came out.  I always said, "The TI-92
is too big and intimidating to teachers, put it in a little case and ill
have one in an instant."  That is what TI did and then some.  TI has created
an extremely powerful machine.  It has almost identical memory storage as an
HP49.  I think that the community just needs to give TI a little time.  The
HP49 is a sort of chip-off-the-block to the 48. (in many ways, but not all)
It it like how the 82 is to the 83. Enhancements? yes but it is not a
totally new calculator.  The 92+/89 concept has not really been around too
long (about a year since release)  HP had powerful experience in designing
this 49 through the 48.  I believe there is some misconception about the
amount of work TI and HP did on the 92+/89 and 49 respectively.  The FAQ on
the 49 said that it was announced only a year and a half after the forming
of the ACO. (if you don't know what im talking about, read the FAQ)
(http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/docs/faq/)  And TI spent many years developing
the hardware and software for the 92+/89.  The 89 is awesome.  It has great
potential to become as versatile as the HP48GX is.  I concur that TI may
have been in a rush to release this calc but they are still working.  With
the amount of power it has it can really grow.  Now us 89 users must simply
scoff the quicker calculation and plotting speed of the 49 and brag about
our better and faster games (where the advantage of the 68000 is clearly
evident) sf2t...i need not say more
My challenge:  Give TI a little more time and maybe they'll hit us with some
really nice applications and a better rom (not necisarily faster but there
are a few things they could add)
if not...well i guess we did get cheated...but i know that TI is a great
company and they will come through.

I hope :)
(I dont want to have to buy another calc)

--Nabil Schear