A89: TI-89 info was(Re: supervisor vs usermode...)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: TI-89 info was(Re: supervisor vs usermode...)

 > Who doesn't release source code?  Or who does release it?  I think you are
 > talking about Xavier and DoorsOS,

Yes, I for example talk about them. I've downloaded doors. It came as
a bunch of libraries in whatever binary format (no idea what object
format do the use, not stated), a few header files and practically no
docs. As per who releases source, well, take a look at for example
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub where you will find several gigabytes of
code all in pure source form. The list of FTP sites which carry very
high quality free software in source form for various environments
is just too numerous to list. As a matter of fact, you can even buy
some commercial code which comes with source and documentation ...

 > since I don't think gaming code will tell
 > you much about the inner workings of the 89... am I right?

Well, games usually try to utilise the HW as much as they can
therefore they can be a wealth of information. I'm not talking
about tic-tac-toe here but animated stuff and alike.

 > Hahaha, if I had any info to put up on a web site, I would.  But being
 > stupid as I am, I know very little about the 89 and asm in general, only
 > enough to use libs to make a very simple program.

Someone wrote those libs ...
Someone has reverse-engineered for example the comm. protocol used by
the calc (the low level, pulses, levels etc) but I couldn't find a
single article actually describing it. I've found a description of the
packet format but nothing about the physical layer.

 > And to fill my empty asm brain with bits of knowledge, do you know if there
 > is a limit to the size an asm program can be on the 89?

I guess the available RAM might be a reasonable limit. If you run
from the FLASH, then the size of that. The 68000 has an address limit
of 16MB, certainly not presenting any constraint in the case of the
TI89.

Regards,

Zoltan

Follow-Ups: References: