From: <AzNgUy66@aol.com>
To: <assembly-89@lists.ticalc.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 9:35 AM
Subject: Re: A89: Re: BIG mistake

> In a message dated 7/26/99 10:19:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> rabelerb@pilot.msu.edu writes:
>
> > They said "Flash code" not "ROM"... and to go to third-party web sites
for
> >  more _information_ and not to necessarily _download_ it.
>
> umm... the flash code is the same thing as the ROM itself..... its just a
sfx
> zip file with the ROM itself (in .tib format) + a miniprogram that
actually
> installs and sends the ROM to the calc through the link cable

Ok, well whatever. ;-)

> more information and not necessarily download it? that is the stupidest
thing
> ive ever heard... =] hehehe.... its almost explicit that they mean to
> download the ROM since that is the only way to get a ROM on the internet..
by
> downloading and this guy is looking for the ROM so.... the rest isnt hard
> figure out

Well, hey - thats what TI said. ;)  I'm sure they meant go and download it
from third party sites, oh well..

> also, i dont see why they would be so uptight about keeping their ROM...
if
> they were, they would probably make you enter in your calc serial # when
you
> tried to download it from the site or somthing, but they do not have
anything
> like that now... you can just go click and download..... also in the
license
> agreement i dont think it says anywhere that you have to own the
> calculator.... oh one more thing... what do people use the ROMs for?
> emulators right? well i dont think TI is very worried about emulators
hurting
> their sales of calculator cuz im pretty sure that most people do not buy
> their calcs exclusively to play some 4greyscale game.... they buy it to
use
> it for school or math or whatever... if they wanted to play games they
would
> buy a gameboy or somthing.... its cheaper too and its just a little faster
> than any TI calc

Well right, TI isn't too paranoid about the ROMs.. If they were, I'm sure
you'd see some of the owners of these sites that feature ROMs getting
prosecuted by TI or something like that.  AFAIK, the most TI has done to
such a site is ask that the owner take it down.

Well, my point all along has been based on the principle of TI's policy, not
what happens in real life.  The fact is, right now TI is not going to punish
you for downloading or distributing ROM images - at least that is their
policy right now.

Bryan