Re: A89: Internet Proposal

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Internet Proposal

At 03:53 PM 1/11/99 -0500, you wrote:

>    I really like the idea of making the 89 internet capable. Sure,
>implementing a stack, etc. would be a ton of work. But worth it. The paths
>have already been laid too. There is a lot of net stuff out there already
>written.
>
>    TIHTML, whatever, is a good idea, but you're going to suffer from
>compatibility issues. If the calculator itself handles all the HTML, you
>could run into other issues. I think it would be the best idea to have a
>webserver set up that parsed requests from calculators to convert them into
>a 89-friendly format. Once the HTML is parsed, the calc downloads and reads
>it. It's a lot of work, but it would definetly be worth it. I would love to
>have this at school. An email client might be even better. I could use my 89
>as a personal organizer at school.
>
>    Some ideas to think about people. If any of this is going to get done
>someone needs to step up if they're interested. I don't have the time or
>knowledge now but I will start looking into it soon. I'm going to start to
>finalize an "official" draft of a document of a proposal for bringing
>internet functionality to the 89.

I strongly dissagree.  It is silly to do all this server side work when the
calculator is perfectly capable of reading ASCII text.  Since the web is
composed of ASCII text documents, why do we need to do all this extra work?
 I'm currently working on a TCP/IP 89 using my TI83 modem.  It would allow
the 89 to connect to an ISP and download info like any computer.  As for
TIML or whatever people are calling it, I think it would be much better to
just use plain text with 4 grey images.  Parsing text takes time, and I
don't think we really need all the bells and whistles right off the bat.
Like HTML, this language can grow with time.

	--Nate