Re: A89: 5 level grayscale

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: 5 level grayscale

In a message dated 2/23/99 7:21:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, ManjiLump@aol.com
writes:

> I was wondering how hard it would be to make a 5 level grayscale program.
> Also
>  how much would this flash back and forth, hopefully not as much as in the 7
>  level grayscale.
>  -Manji

5 level grayscale is like 10x10 sprites.  it wastes opportunity.  the way you
achieve 7 level grayscale is by having 3 video mem areas which are swapped
back and forth.  you view one of them 4/7 of the time, another 2/7 of the
time, and the last 1/7 of the time.  thus, each plane corresponds to a
different darkness level.

as for 5 level grayscale, not sure how you'd do that, but you couldn't do it
with less than 3 video mem areas, and you'd end up just having different
planes have the same darkness level, which is very pointless.

in conclusion, there is no point :)