Re: A89: Built in serial numbers

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Built in serial numbers

In a message dated 2/17/99 1:39:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,
billr1@midsouth.net writes:

> You are only seeing the BAD side of the gaming potential.  I once asked
>  about the possiblity of reading the serial number so that games with hidden
>  features (or RPGs, or any other game where playing gets you access to
>  something new) could be set up so that once you save your game at the
>  advanced level, you cant just send a copy of that save to all your friends.
>   This wouldnt be cool in some games, but I think that if a game with time
>  release features (like the newer arcade fighting games have) was created
>  this would be a cool way to keep people playing.

Hear hear! I have had some plans in the back of my head for Pokemon 89 (I'm
not promising anything! I can't even write a stupid tilemap routine!) and it
would be REALLY annoying if people could send their games to each other and
end up "cloning" good Pokemon... (If you've played Pokemon, you should
understand what I mean...). This way, the saved game could be backed up via
computer or even on a friend's calculator, but only played on that one. And if
you REALLY needed to send it to another device... oh well. It's just a game.