A89: what's the big deal?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: what's the big deal?

Ok, I've taken a look at the highlighted screenshot that is supposed to
be 'proof beyond a reasonably doubt' that h4Xor's project is a hoax.

I don't see what the big deal is.  I see the little red arrows that show
me inconsistencies in the window title text and color; yet such things
can be made inconsistent by the programmer for artistic effect.  Another
piece of evidence is that some window titlebars do not shift from black
to blue;  yet, as it was earlier stated, WinAmp's titlebars aren't
standard titlebars, why don't we denounce screen shots of upcoming
versions of WinAmp as hoaxes?  One thing that IS difficult to reconcile
is the 'T' in 'TI-89 Simulator' that hangs over the window border a
little bit.  But it is a very little bit.  I've had windows destabilize
and do similarly odd things, never this particular thing, but I don't
see how it is impossible.  Something in the screen shot that is labeled
'Eh, maybe, but odd' is the existence of a View drop-down menu.  So?
Take a look at Assembly Studio, the IDE for the 86, it has a 'View'.
This is, after all, one of the more or less standard menus, along with
File and Edit.

As for the white menu bar: I imagine it is possible to force a different
color for menubars.  And another thing:  this screenshot may have been
taken on a computer with different Windows preferences concerning window
display.  You can set what colors Windows should use to display
titlebars, menubars, even the little gray borders can be changed!  This
is not necessarily even in the program!

Also, it has been noted that there are similarities between h4Xor's
program and other programs, and it has been suggested that he created
this pic by cutting and pasting images from other programs' screen shots
together.  Like the editor, and the debugger, which is suspiciously
resemblent of VTI.  Well, h4Xor has openly admitted using some code from
other programs.  Perhaps this is temporary, or perhaps they are public
domain source files and he will recognize original authors, but it is
quite possible that the borrowed code is responsible for these
similarities, rather than a created, faked image.

There is one feature of the screen shot that does look suspicious to
me.  Around nearly all text and graphic elements in the picture, there
is a barely noticeable noise pattern in the surrounding background
colors.  This does look somewhat 'pasted', however, it is also
surrounding such things as the 'Cancel' button in the Sending window,
which would be silly to copy and paste when you could just paste the
whole window in.  I also feel that it is possible that the mere common
low quality of Windows screen shots under many situations may account
for this halo effect.

If I'm wrong, and this is a hoax, then so be it, good job to h4Xor for
making a total fool of me.  But otherwise, I don't see all this
'irrefutable evidence' seen by everyone else.  Please forgive my sending
such a long, kinda offtopic email.

Cassady Roop