A89: Archive on HW 1.00/2.00

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Archive on HW 1.00/2.00

Now, getting back on topic - let's see the list get a little productive. . .

Opinions are going to differ on whether or not TI cheated us.  I accused
them of doing just that in one of my emails to Paul Fischer, and he had a
good point - in TI's opinion, none of us with HW 1.00 were cheated.

Instead, TI gave HW 2.00 buyers a "free upgrade" of sorts -- were TI really
out to cheat us, new 89s would not sell for the same price with a more
expensive 12 MHz processor.  Paul compared it to car dealerships -- all they
do is stick on a new number for the model year, and they can change the car
all they want.  And they don't tell you everything that has changed.

The ONLY reason TI is getting flamed like this from us is because of one
poor marketting decision - whether a calc is HW1 or HW2 is not distinctly
obvious at first glace.  If "HW2" was written on the calc and noted in big
print on the box.  If they called it the 89+ or the 89-2, we would not
complain.  It's all psychological -- humans, as a whole, tend to look at how
they were cheated rather than how they were pompered.

Regardless, the issue could go either way.  There's simply no point in
complaining -- what's done is done/  Realize that what you say will have no
impact on TI whatsoever - the problem is corporate marketting, which will
not change its ways for any reason other than greed.  If you're going to
complain, do it amongst yourselves so that those of us who understand its
futility don't have to look at it (yes, I get the digest version of the list
and have to scroll past it to read other messages - not just delete it =)

    -Scott