Re: A89: The logic behing signined and unsigned programs!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: The logic behing signined and unsigned programs!

> > Now everyone listen up:
> >
> > TI will (?) release two versions of the Flash SDK: a free and a
>professional
> > version! With the free version you can write programs for the calc as
>usual!
> > With the pro version you can write flash rom programs which can access
>the
> > Flash ROM directly, like the calc itself does when getting a product
>code
> > update! Imagine when everyone could write this kind of program:
> >
> > They could write programs which actually destroy the ROM so you'd have
> > send the calc to TI! And the question is if they will help you because
>you
> > destroyed the ROM through a program you've downloaded from the web.
>That's
> > why TI wants to sign flash rom programs with such powerful abilities
>like
> > writes to the flash ROM!
>

>When getting a signature for a program, does TI thoroughly check it?  I
>sure that a determined hacker could hide something deep into a program.
>I wonder what TI will do when software they authenticated killed your calc
>:-)

Me too ;-)

>If TI would sign programs just for security, why the heck does it cost so
>much?  If they charge Ti-89 like they do Ti-83+, with educational license
>its _$33_ per _one_signature_, even if the program is released freeware.
>And if someone else takes the source (which I always give out) and
>improves the program to match his needs, another $33 for signature.
>
>It's like an opposite of normal situation;  Normally, programmer makes
>programs and sells them at $33.  But TI wants it to be; programmer
>makes programs and pays $33 per program.

Signing a program costs $33, OK. But you only pay this price once!
Furthermore, software which runs from the flash ROM, this means TI gives the
programmers out there the oppurtunity to write commercial programs for the
TI-89! I - personally - wouldn't release the source to a program I paid $33
for a license! Imagine someone writes a really good Word89 for the calc and
signs it for commercial release: He could sell his program! This program
can't be copied, and then there's one great thing left:

YOUR PROGRAM IS COPYRIGHTED AND CAN'T BE COPIED WITHOUT YOUR
AUTHORIZATION!!!

>Here's how they responded when I let them know that as a freeware
>programmer I'm very upset about the limitations on programmability they
>will/have set on Ti-89:
>
>"Texas Instruments appreciates your support of our products.  I understand
>your concerns.  At this current time Texas Instruments does not plan on
>offering signings unless you purchase the Educational or Professional SDK.
>I will forward your comments to our SDK development team.
>
>There is an 8KB limitation to the size of apps that can be created.  Texas
>Instruments has no announced plans to increase this size."
>
>(I deleted the parts that everyone has read a hundred times, headers
>"ti-cares" and "kind regards")
>

> > You should in fact be glad about this!
>
>You can't be serious.

YES, I AM!!! Read the part above to know why? If everybody writes stupid
programs that splatter your memory, what the hell does this help the user?
I, for my part, will purchase the professional version and I'm pretty sure
that it'll pay out!

> > Finally read this: Stop yelling at TI about the pre-release of ROM 2.01!
> > It's not an official release, furthermore it's not even written by Texas
> > Instruments! As long as you haven't got a clue about ROM 2.00 by TI,
>just
> > keep quiet!
>
>Quite true.  Though 2.01 is an excellent clue :-)  But the fact stands, TI
>hasn't released it so.  Let's wait until they release "2.00" before
>starting to riot.

Thanks a lot for your comments! I'll get in contact with Texas Instruments
again and send you some more informations about ROM 2.00 as soon as I know
more!

Yours sincerely,

Michael Kristiansen