Re: A89: AP Calculus

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: AP Calculus

> Do you guys (or gals, don't mean to be sexist) think that
> a teacher (namely mine) has to let me use my TI-89 for
> class b/c the AP college board approved it or is she in
> the right saying I have to use my 85?

Hmm... I have to say I disagree with several of the past
have to look up that school's policy on the teacher's
jurisdiction.  In the public school system (at least here, and
I believe it's a normal standard), the teacher may restrict
your use of electronic devices only if she has reasonable
evidence that the device will give you an unfair advantage
over other students performing in her grading system.  Since
the College Board does not think that the TI-89 gives you
an unfair advantage, she'd have trouble explaining how it
does in her grading system.  Otherwise, it is up to you to
choose whatever tools you wish if you believe they will
improve your learning and retention in the class.  The
teacher is obviously not required to give you any special
attention or instruction for use with the device.  This is
parallel with the fact that teachers (in public schools) do
not have the right to tell a student not to sleep, or to
prevent a student over 16 years of age from leaving the
class in progress (they can prevent you from returning
while in progress).  Once again, they just don't have to
give you special assistance.