A89: How does a 68000 program get into supervisor mode ?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Rob Rupertus writes:

 > How would I be able to switch into supervisor mode on a 68000 for a program that needs it ?

You must find a system service that does it for you. Alternatively,
the system does not have memory protection so you can overvrite an
exception vector. In this case, of course, why would anyone bother
with dropping you to user mode in the first place ?

If the design has any reasonable HW, you *can't* get supervisor mode
unless the system wants to give you the privileges. That's the whole
idea behind the supervisor and user mode.

Regards,

Zoltan