Re: A89: Re: Re: ROM v1.0

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: Re: ROM v1.0

It is my understanding that:

1) The displays are the same on each calc, except that the TI-89's is physically
smaller and has fewer pixels.  The display file size is the same on both for
compatability (3840 bytes), with parts unused for the TI-89.

2) The keyboards are very likely to be layed out differently electronically to
reflect the different physical layouts..

3) The TI-92 and plus use 2M*16 flash, while the TI-89 uses only 1M*16 flash.
This would account for the presence of more built-in functions in the TI-92 plus
(like geometry apps.) and more archive memory in the TI-89.

4) Besides all of this, the systems should be identical because they both use
the exact same CPU chip.

Kaus wrote:

> it does mean a dang thing, cause the ti-89 and ti-92+ are completely
> different systems.  it would be like puting your hard drive from a pc into a
> mac.  isnt going to work.
>
> the ti-89 has different keypad and screen, and so the rom code to handle
> these is different.  if you tried to install the rom from a ti-89 into a
> ti-92+, first of all, it wouldnt let you, because it knows the difference
> between a ti-89 and a ti-92+ rom, and 2nd of all, your screen would be
> completely messed up and you wouldnt be able to type anything.  in effect,
> _don't do it!_
>
> --kaus

Follow-Ups: References: