Re: A89: Re: Survey for the next version of PlusShell

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: Survey for the next version of PlusShell

In a message dated 11/17/98 1:52:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
assets@eden.rutgers.edu writes:

> Though you might think the hassel is trivial, but as a programmer, I
>  personally don't like the idea of my program being dependent on external
>  code in order to run ... for a calculator that requires a shell, libraries
>  are acceptable because the program is already dependant on the shell; but
>  for calculators that aren't, this is not acceptable.  A program written for
>  the 89 should work on every 89 (on every rom version) and not _only_ until
>  new standard is introduced.  Libraries defeat the purpose and elegance of
>  built-in assembly support

i agree with you in every case except two:  putsprite (including grayscale)
and huffman.  neither of these are likely to be in the rom, and they are used
commonly in games.  there's no need to waste space in every program when they
all use the same routine.  if the routine is in the rom (util comes to
mind...), then the library shouldn't be used.