Re: A89: Suggestion: A simple C compiler

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Suggestion: A simple C compiler

In a message dated 12/22/98 12:49:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
nlmueller@students.wisc.edu writes:

> >In a message dated 12/22/1998 12:42:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>  >oh@hem.passagen.se writes:
>  >
>  >> The flashrom chip that is in the 89 has the feature that you can write
>  >> protect
>  >>  certain blocks.. therefore you dont need any extra rom chips..
> everything
>  >is
>  >>  stored in the same chip.
>  >>
>  >>  //Olle
>  >
>  >That's a very good design.  Here's another Flash ROM question.  When the
> chip
>  >has been written to up to it's limit (10,000 times I think), does the chip
>  >cease to function, or can you still read data from it?
>  >
>  >Fro example, If I ran the BASIC Flashrom program, which continually
> Archives
>  >and Unarchives a variable, when the chip was finally worn out, would I
> still
>  >be able to read from the chip, or would it be ruined permanently?
>  >
>  >Daniel Imfeld
>
>  The 10,000 times limit isn't writing, but garbage collection.  It's
>  explained in the manule in quite a bit of detail.
>
>  	--Nate

Wha? The Archive is in Flash Rom? Better not archive stuff all the time then.
:)

According to the manual, archiving and unarchiving a variable shouldn't really
write anything: it never deletes stuff until a garbage collection. Therefore,
archiving and unarchiving a variable would simply replace _something_ a whole
heck of a lot, but not an entire variable/program/whatever

Tell me if I'm wrong here...