Re: A89: Suggestion: A simple C compiler

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Suggestion: A simple C compiler

In a message dated 18/12/98 08:39:41 Pacific Standard Time,
nlmueller@students.wisc.edu writes:

> Just a side note:  I think that this an ideal usage of BASIC.  If you wrote
>  an emulator in asm you would not only have to deal with the parsing, but
>  you would have to do _all_ the error handling yourself.  In BASIC you
>  sacrafise speed (which is actually better for debugging) but the built in
>  BASIC error handling takes care of all the hard stuff.  One thing that
>  would make a BASIC emulator much better though would be an asm function --
>  using filelib -- that would let you do file reading inside a BASIC program.
>  Maybe a pipe dream...

I've had passing thoughts about something like this for the 86, but with the
89's "hackable rom" this could definately be feasable for some advenerous
hacker... some type of "Improved BASIC" that would allow for some niceties of
ASM to be brought into BASIC, i.e. inverse text, file reading capabilites,
etc.

Then again... that's a lot of work...