Re: A89: Suggestion: A simple C compiler

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Suggestion: A simple C compiler

>In a message dated 17/12/98 15:28:28 Pacific Standard Time,
>m_rayman@bigfoot.com writes:
>
>> And all of this isn't even touching compiling times on the ~10Mhz
>processor...
>>

>Who cares how slow it is... do you know how I long to program ASM (or even C)
>during class??

If people want to work on asm, I _almost_ have something.  I wrote a MIPS
RISC assembly emulator during class last week, but it's quite slow.  The
other problem is that to speed it up, I store instructions in a matrix, the
operation and each operand all in different elements.  It's a real pain in
the ass to program, but I bet someone could think of a better interface.
Of course if you accept a slowdown of over 100% I could alwaus work around
it...

I'll switch it over to 68k and post it after finals, if enough people
really want it.

Just a side note:  I think that this an ideal usage of BASIC.  If you wrote
an emulator in asm you would not only have to deal with the parsing, but
you would have to do _all_ the error handling yourself.  In BASIC you
sacrafise speed (which is actually better for debugging) but the built in
BASIC error handling takes care of all the hard stuff.  One thing that
would make a BASIC emulator much better though would be an asm function --
using filelib -- that would let you do file reading inside a BASIC program.
Maybe a pipe dream...

	--Nate