[A86] Re: TI-86 Disassembler

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: TI-86 Disassembler

rabidcow@juno.com writes:
> The best z80 disassembler I've seen is still dz80, but it's very
> tricky to figure out how to disassemble straight from an .86p file.
> It doesn't distinguish between code/data (everything is code to it)
> and it won't drop in the names for standard equates, but it works
> well and knows all the undocument instructions.

VTI has a built in table of many standard equates.  In fact, the debugger
will do it for anything, it just doesn't have support for loading more
values.  I made a small enhancement a while ago to load symbol tables
generated by Assembly Studio 8x and it made it very useful for debugging,
since the code would then have most of the labels your source had.  Though I
don't know what happened to it...maybe someone still has it.

> You gotta understand that it's very difficult to tell the difference
> between code and data, and the difference between random constants and
> meaningful pointers.  Producing a source file suitable to run through
> an assembler will probably never be a completely automated task if
> that's what you're looking for.

What do you mean?  Any correct disassembler should produce code that can be
run through an assembler and produce the same result.  The code just may not
reflect the original code, as the disassembled output may contain code where
it was originally data and vice versa.  I could write a disassembler that
output everything as ".db" and it would work.  The problem isn't strict
correctness, it's perceived correctness.

--
David Phillips <david@acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/

Follow-Ups: References: