[A86] Re: Hey All, Some beginner Question :)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: Hey All, Some beginner Question :)

On Fri, 31 May 2002 19:58:17 -0700 (PDT) Patrick Davidson
<pad@OCF.Berkeley.EDU> writes:
> A more advanced method would be to use double buffering, where you
> alternate between two buffers to draw in, and switch which one is
> shown
> after you finish drawing one.  The 86ports.txt file also tells which
> port
> to use for this.  Note that it probably is a good idea to
> synchronize this
> with the screen refresh.

Just to be picky, working somewhere else and copying it to the screen
*is* double-buffering.

But to make what you're saying a little more clear, it is possible on the
86 to tell the display to read out of a different section of memory.  So
you can set up two display pages and write to one while the hardware
reads from the other.

> > 3) This is probably my hardest question.. So here it go: I made a
> rpn
> > parser application for the 83+ but I want to port it to 86.. So my
> > question is how hook work on 86 and how the parser work??

This is not a beginner question.  :)

There are three different kinds of hooks, and several of each type.  If
the corresponding hooks exist on the 83/83+ then the documentation will
be mostly accurate for the 86.  Most addresses will be 3 bytes instead of
two (usually hl becomes ahl, de->bde), and some will be in different
registers.

There's the "alt" hooks, for on, off, silent link, and interrupt, which
are placed in a small fixed area and are not copied to _asm_exec_ram to
be executed.  (These probably aren't useful in this case.)  There's the
ASAP hooks, which let you add commands and some menus, and might work for
what you're doing, but not if you want to use +,-,*, etc.  (These are
what TI's financial and stat add-ins use.)

Then there's the [sqrt] hooks:

[sqrt]Key - called before and/or after retrieving a keystroke
[sqrt]Parse - called in _PARSEON/INP/OFF before it begins parsing
[sqrt]Exec
[sqrt]Expr - to display the equation number when tracing a graph
[sqrt]Form - to format an answer to be displayed
[sqrt]Home - called, I believe, upon return to the home screen
[sqrt]CmdTok
[sqrt]Grf

The ones you'll want are probably Parse, Exec, and maybe CmdTok, but I
don't know of anyone using those before.  If you can find documentation
for another calc, work off of that, otherwise it'll almost certainly take
disassembly (or maybe emailing TI and asking?) to figure out how to work
these.

-josh

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.