[A86] Re: I have several questions.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: I have several questions.

Shared libraries suck.  They cause way more problems than they solve.
Routines are different in every program.  There isn't anything really useful
that can be shared efficiently between programs.  If it's in the ROM, use
it.  Otherwise, include it in your program.  The calc has plenty of RAM.
One of the reasons the 86 is the nicest calculator to use is that you can
run any program on your calculator, without any other program.  With the
exception of the first shells that wroteback programs (sometimes
incorrectly?), it doesn't matter what shell you use.  In fact, you don't
even need a shell, and many poeple don't use them.

The 89 people finally got a clue and gave up on the idea of kernels and went
with nostub programs.  Everyone in ACZ has always been against shared
libraries.  Plusshell, which was written by Rusty before there even was an
ACZ, did not originally require a kernel.  It was through the incredibly
stupidity and short sightedness that the 89 community was cursed with the
large mess of kernels and libraries.  When Dux got into 89 programming and
worked on 89 Central, he used the Plusshell compiler, made and advocated
nostub programs.

I appreciate yours and everyone else's complements on ACZ.  It was a lot of
fun.  We should probably put a web page up...

ACZ members are generally more interested with programming and other
activities than with making web pages :)