[A86] Re: ROM / RAM equates database

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: ROM / RAM equates database

> Van: David Phillips <david@acz.org>
>
> > I though we will need a 'backbone' to hang all the
> > adresses/names/description at. So the format will be basicaly this
type:

> A database is essentially a two dimensional array.  My list of items was
all
> of the "columns" for each "record".  Each record would have all of the
> items.

I haven't built much databases you could say... (Curently having a little
project about databasese at school though)

> > [Description/Notes/Example]
> > No. | General | Ti73 | Ti82 | Ti83 | Ti83p | Ti83pSE | Ti85 | Ti86
> > => Normaly you will have only one description, in-depth description
> (memory
> > adresses used, etc.) can be strored in the platforms own records.
> > => There could be made a seperate (source-)example table.
>
> No.  If you look at Josh's list, he usually has a list of the routine
names,
> and a few words off to the side.  This would be a good way to display all
of
> them.  When you click on the name, you'd get a paragraph explaining the
> routine.

So basicaly you say, have a [Little description] (would be 'general' one)
table, and a [In depth description] table (For the different Ti's)? Would't
that be more or less the same?

We don't need to display the database as-is on the website (you should know
that)...

> > [Reference]
> > No. | reference1 | ref..2 | --> 'ad infinitum'
> > => (I mean like "See also: entry-number 100", Where 'entry-number 100'
> > could off coarse could be replaced with the general-name)
> >
> > [Ti82 16.0]
> > [Ti82 17.0]
> > [Ti82 18.0]
> > [Ti82 19.0]
> > [Ti82 19.006]
> > [Ti83 ...]
> > [Ti...]
> > No. | entry1 | entry2 | --> 'ad infinitum'
>
> Hmm, that's an interesting idea.

Thank you.

> > What about 'hyperlinking'? For example, in the description I say "the
ROM
> > call uses adress foobar", it would be nice if this word could be linked
> > through to it's own entry. I do know that there is not really a
> possibility
> > of automating this kind stuff inside a database. This is more something
of
> > the program that uses the database.
>
> Sure.  It'd probably be easiest to surround a name by {} or something in
the
> description, and have the code just parse that and display a link.

Good idea.

> You are exactly right.  The database just stores data.  What you do with
it
> is up to you.

That's also what I just said, about that the website interface doesn't need
to display the database as-is.

> > The problem is that I would like it to be accessible off-line (via a
> > program). I want to be able to add new records off-line, and be able to
> > upload them later. Since I don't want to stay connected till I have
(for
> > example) added the aprox. 100 ROM calls I have already documented for
the
> > Ti83.
>
> This makes it difficult, but it could be done.  Easiest way would be to
have
> you run a web server with PHP and MySQL on your computer, and then when
> you're done, just dump the database and I could add it to the site.
You'd
> probably only do this once in the beginning.

Hubba?

That would mean you need at least some >500MHz processor I think. Plus only
one person can update the site... (time, the final frontier...) And you
need to transfer the whole (megabytes big) database "up 'n down" the
line...

Both of these would mean I wouldn't be able to help (very much).

Plus I think a two way solution (web<->stand-alone) would be very usefull.

> To view it offline, I could have it generate a set of static HTML files
that
> could be downloaded (tar/bzip2 them).

hmm... HTML is indeed 'readable' everywhere if you make yourself a little
angry to get a borwser working on that machine.

	Henk Poley <><