[A86] Re: ASM Math

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: ASM Math

Asm is entirely math, structure, and data transfer operations.  It
doesn't even understand graphics.

The math happens to be integer binary arithmatic (mostly boolean), and
graphics (especially monochrome) are easily manipulated with that type of
math.

It sucks at floating point math (and things like multiplication) because
that's hard to do and rather complex.  Remember the last time you did
long division?  Compare that with simple math like 12+7.

Modern processors get around this by using microcode, so asm is a higher
level than on the z80 and older chips.  All the instructions in the z80
are hard coded using simple logic gates.

-josh

On Mon, 21 May 2001 21:43:55 EDT Rgdtad@aol.com writes:

> Why is asm so awful at math?  I would think that such a low level
> language
> would be entirely math and comletely inept at graphics, but the
> reverse seems
> to be true.
>
> Also, has anyone writen a good tutorial on asm math for the 86?  I
> can't get
> it from just looking at code, I need some explanation of the calls.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.