[A86] Re: What about LISP?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: What about LISP?

----Original Message Follows----
>To: assembly-86@lists.ticalc.org Subject: [A86] Re: What about LISP? From:
>"Andreas Finne" <a_finne@hotmail.com> Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:29:34 +0200
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------> How
>would it be with a SCHEME interpreter? As far as I know, SCHEME is used in
>many schools as the first language in computer science. I > just mean that
>there (probably) is a lot more people that would find a scheme interpreter
>useful than a pure lisp interpreter.
>
>Andreas Finne

That's a good point.  But what I'm suggesting isn't neccessarily a "pure"
LISP interpreter.  What I'm getting at hear is a LISP/SCHEME-like
interpreter.  I'm not suggesting that we attempt to hold to either the LISP
or SCHEME specs.  My suggesting transends the particular details of any one
of the LISP variants.  What I'm suggesting is that we take a look at the
LISP concepts/sytax/methodologies and see if we can come up with a language
suitable as a simple, but suffeciently powerful, high level glue that has
been one of the holy grails of TI calculator programming.

A few examples of what I'm talking about are: (1) A LISP style grammer is
easy to parse and at the same time arguably capable. So lets try to capture
this aspect of the language.  (2) Sharing common code among LISP-like
programs running on the same LISP machine appears to be straight foward.  So
again, lets try to capture this quality.  (3) By running user programs on
top of an interpreter it would be feasible to build in generic
multithreading/processing support.  This is harder for the Z80 because we
can't change its "wireing", and therefore if someone tries to create a
simple multi-threading OS, any Z80 asm programming can write a program to
comprimise it.(either by mistake or on purpose.  No Z80-based protection.).

A possible risk to this sort of scheme(no pun pretended...) would of course
be effeciency.  But if enough "primitive" operations are made in pure
assembly, it might be possible to overcome this.  Maybe an
expandable/reasonable mechanism can be built into the language to allow for
dynamic installation/management of these raw assembly primitives, while the
interpreter itself is used only for the high level glue.

An example of what I'm not so concerned about with this interpreter is
suporting unbounded numbers.  I'm just not concerned about this aspect of
the language, I would say gut it.

I hope this helps to give a flavor of where I'm trying to go with this idea.
  What do people think?

later,

David E. West