[A86] What about LISP?

[Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] What about LISP?

All,

	I've been thinking on and off lately about the descussions that took place
a couple of months ago regaurding a new z80 language compiler.  One of the
visions I (personally) have had with this hypothetical language is that it
would form the basis of a self-contained versital platform for the TI-86.
That is with this new language, a new OS could be written to take advantage
of the TI-86's ample memory.  Now that last part might going out on a limb.
But with this way in the back of your mind, I want to submit for
consideration the idea of building a LISP interpreter for the TI-86.

	Now I'm trying to think way out of the box, I don't neccessarily mean a
completely "idealized" LISP interpreter.  What I see in this idea is a few
positive qualities.  The LISP grammar is very easy to parse, (this helps
make it a doable project) and implimenting shared libraries appears to be
possible with this language.  I see these as being positive qualities of a
language for consideration for these Z80 based calculators. (especially the
code sharing capabilities)

	In the feature, if I have time to think about it more, I will throw out
some possible implimentation details of this mini-LISP machine, in terms of
how it would actually be usefull.  But for now I thought I would throw this
out, to my collegues, as a sort of a sanity check to make sure I'm not
barking down the wrong path.  Again I want to emphisise that this LISP
implimentation might not look anything like what has been built in the past.
  I just want to strip out all the redeming qualities from the language and
insert anything that would help a z80 programmer.  For example maybe our
LISP interpreter would allow for inline assembly routines.

Ex:

(define Put-Sprite (lambda (x y)
      (Z80-Asm '("LD A, X"
                 "XOR B"
		 .... ))))

	It just might be the glue we've been looking for.

later on,

David E. West