Re: A86: Assembly Studio 8x released

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Assembly Studio 8x released

> > Batch files are nice, but once you've tried make, there's no going
> > back :)
>
> oh, my. are we comparing batch files to make?! that's comparing oranges to
sigfried & roy...
> they're both fruit, but only one comes with a tiger.

Yeah, but in this case, and in many cases, they're used for the same thing:
to automate the process of building a program.  But you are right, they are
completely different.  Batch files are more similiar to shell scripts, but
even then, there's no comparison.

> not from my understanding. msi is only to make sure that older versions of
files don't get
> overwritten upon the initial installation. when msi starts up, it
generates its own symbols table,
> so that it doesn't risk initially linking against a defunct library. or
something.

You're probably right.  I'm just guessing from what I've seen it do.  After
I installed Assembly Studio (this was one of the betas), I copied a plugin
DLL into the directory with the same name as one of the original ones, and
to my horror Windows recopied the original DLL back into the directory on
top of it.  Which has it's advantages, yes, but it's not always a good
thing.

> see above; this provides no checking at the beginning. it has been
continually shown that people cannot
> unzip to proper directories on their own.

I think he means a zip file with a setup program.  If it's just one
executable, I'll settle for no install program.  If it has a lot of files, I
want a program to automate the process of creating a directory and adding it
to the start menu (at my option).

> i'm not trying to advocate msi though... i think that installshield serves
purposes well. however, using msi
> is much less expensive. i'm still confuzzled about it borking on install
for you though. i've never had any
> problems with an install.

I have Visual C++ 6 Professional (academic price, sure beats retail), and it
comes with a copy of Install Shield for you to use (along with a full copy
of Windows NT 4 Workstation...very nice...seems Microsoft knows that 95 is
not what you want to be deveoping on).  I don't know how you make an MSI,
but I would be willing to bet that it comes free with one of the services
packs for Visual Studio (you know, one of the ones where you have to
download 67 different files because they won't pack them all into one).