Re: A86: What C-compilers have we got? [82/83/83+/85/86]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: What C-compilers have we got? [82/83/83+/85/86]

Yes, David is very correct on the point about C compilers (my own Asm
programs usually hit 1k for small ones before optimization)... they
just produce code that is too large for the 86's RAM space, let alone
an 83/etc. C can be done on the 89/92+ since the RAM available is
around 1MB for the 92+, and 512k for the 89 (this includes Archive
memory), and the Asm program limit is greater than the ~8k of the 86,
which means C has the room it needs on those calcs (plus the addition
of the 68k instruction set and registers to make code smaller than
z80 equiv).

However, there IS a possible hybrid of ideas that take from Asm/C to
create a compiler slightly higher than that of Asm, but lower than C,
allowing for functions, abstract data types/etc. with minimal size
hit. I tinkered with blending the syntax of functions/data types with
the instructions of an Asm language to create a really fast
interpreter language for my own use in AI/etc. for the computer,
something like this would use C-ish syntax on parts that can act like
Studio 86's #defines and C's macros. This means that all/most of the
nasty calculations that code normally does in C to be done at
compile-time rather than runtime. However, until someone creates such
a compiler, we are out of luck.

-Krev
--
----
"Science describes how our universe reacts in a mathematical