A86: Strategy Games

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Strategy Games

Tis' me again, with another question, this time to get input on
another project I have been working on, which is the Turn-Based
strategy game.

I was wondering why something like this has only ever been done once,
and even then only in BASIC (huge, but decent). Sure someone has
tried making C&C for the 86, and was gonna end up with a freakin'
huge program, with large maps so he dropped the project... go figure.

I believe that I have found a way to make an expandable map-driven
turn-based version which will be an odd hybrid of C&C/Total
Annihilation/RoboSport techniques to produce an insanely small
program with a true behavioral-based AI.
Maps themselves will take less than 1000 bytes apiece (30x30
squares), which is the current maximum, but if it turns out I have
room to spare in RAM page 1, I can expand this limit. Savegames will
be fairly large (depending on the units/sides, up to 4 sides, around
128 units apiece) at around 1500 bytes on a heavy game. The data for
the tilesets will be around 1k-2k (4 different map types, possibly
more if I implement a proper tileset loader) with around 32-48
different tiles for each set. Plus I currently have 7 mobile units
and 6 buildings (including ones that can attack) with more coming.
With this oddly compact data, there is a drawback: no greyscale. I
have decided to keep greyscale OUT until I have a chance to
finish/test the skirmish and link-play, and the tiles are all 8x8
square...

Well, my main question is asking why there is a lack of strategy
warfare games out there, although input on the project itself is
appreciated.

-Krev
--
----
"Science describes how our universe reacts in a mathematical