Re: A86: How YOU learned 86 ASM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: How YOU learned 86 ASM

In a message dated 3/5/00 7:13:25 AM Mountain Standard Time,
webmaster@restorationcenter.com writes:

> I am looking to see how different people learned 86 ASM.  Please post a
>
>  Matt

I originally learned Z80 assembly from Jimmy's good ol' ZShell School.  It
was a bit cryptic to me for quite a while, as my only previous programming
experience had been TI-BASIC; consequently, I had some trouble understanding
indirect addressing, the stack..."abstract" stuff like that, and it took a
good year before everything "sunk in", so to speak, and I was at the point
where I could make the code do basically what I wanted it to.  I'm a relative
beginner to TI-86 specific assembly, although I've read nearly every
86-specific tutorial out there (86 Central was a big help on interrupts, and
I've read some stuff from Dux's page, too).

Some of the best assembly help I've gotten is from Z80 instruction set
documents, which I have nearly memorized by now since I refer to it so often
;)  I've also done a little investigating into the TI-85's ROM when I was
trying to figure out a way to perhaps by-pass the ROM when evaluating
expressions such that it's possible to add functions to the calculator (much
like you can on the 86; are these the SQRT programs???).  I've actually
looked very little at other's source code with the exception of studying
relatively small routines (rather than complete programs).  And of course
when I had an assembly-related question, the "experts" have been quick to
respond helpfully ;)

JayEll