Re: A86:Multitasking

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86:Multitasking

Actually, while we're at it, why don't we just save the entire memory of
the calculator, since you never know where those whacky programmers are
going to stash sensitive data, and store it, say, in some imaginary
memory chip hovering a couple inches above the calc? :)

I really don't think any kind of "multitasking" (quotes for obvious
reasons) on the 86 would be practical, although perhaps feasible.
Feasible as in it would function.  Until you put a game on it that
doesn't realize that it is being run in a multitasking environment.
Unfortunately, I'm afraid that encompasses every game written for the
86.  The shell would have to know exactly which memory areas outside of
the asm exec space each game uses, which is an arbitrary choice entirely
up to whoever programmed the game.  And multitasking a utility program
would be out of the question;  that sounds like an excellent way of
trashing memory.

Cassady Roop