Re: A86: New Shell/Differences between ROM versions

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

rabidcow@juno.com wrote:

> all rom calls are slow.  it's always a tradeoff between size and speed.
> (and in some cases, whether or not you want to bother writing & debugging
> the code)
> the main issue is, is it slow enough to make a difference?
>
> -josh

Sure is! _FindAlphaUp and _FindAlphaDn are two of the slowest crappiest rom
calls in the whole damned thing. I traced em with like 20 vars on the calc,
and it took an average of 156,000 cycles _per_ call, so you call it 20 times
to find the number of vars on the calc, and you get ~3 million cycles, which
should be about 2/3 of a second with average battery power...Just think how
many cycles it is with 50 vars, cuz it takes more time as the vars get
further from the start.  There really is no reason to use these calls, as
many VAT routines can be found in various places, and the VAT has been
extensively documented.

Later,
Chicane