Re: A86: External Levels

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: External Levels

You can't identify labels in a string or in a program. Labels are just there
so that the compiler knows what address is in question. Of course you can
trace every call, but that would almost be like disassembling.

What you can do (I did it in the 86 port of FFX4 and Dying Eyes), is to
create a symbol table for the external level. If you know where the level is
loaded, you create a symbol table with that address as .org statement. Then
you can include the symbol table in the main program and thus having the
labels at hand.

When it comes to searching for strings with a certain header, I have written
a routine that searches for every string with a certain 2-byte header. The
routine isn't that great, but it does the job. I don't have it uploaded
anywhere, but I used it in Blink86. Take a look at the source.

Andreas Finne
andreas@calc.org
tcpa.calc.org