A86: _vputs strikes again... again???

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: _vputs strikes again... again???

I'm having some problems, and they are nasty, and I'm quite surprised to
find that they stem from _vputs.  For some reason _vputs crashes in the
middle of a string.  I was attempting to print the string 'SUCCESSFUL',
which is a part of my program that has worked for a long time until I
began fiddling with it again tonight.  It gets to the second 'S', but
only prints the upper half of the character, and then it dies.  The
emulator says that at this point it is running an endless loop in a
memory area that is supposed to be nonexecutable system data.  I find
this very strange.  The modifications I made to the program do not seem
to include anything that could possibly affect _vputs...  One
modification is the addition of a temporary interrupt handler routine
that constantly loads $00 to (IY+shiftFlags) to cancel out the 2nd and
ALPHA keys for a key input routine (I did this to make it impossible to
turn it off while inputting a password).  This routine does not seem to
be possibly detrimental to _vputs, but it is the only explanation I can
think of.  Also, this only happens after I run the program several
times, which further confounds me...

What external conditions does _vputs require to run properly?
(variables, obscure memory areas, ... I wonder if I could be overwriting
the character bitmaps or something??? where are those?... I'm at a loss
here...)

Cassady Roop