Re: A86: Re: [OT] this might sound dumb but

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Re: [OT] this might sound dumb but

For the TI-80, 81, 82, 83, 85, and 86,
first unscrew the two phillips screws located at the bottom
rear of the case.  Then remove the screw for the backup
battery (located in the battery compartment).  Remove all
five batteries (4 AAA and 1 lithium).  Pull the lower left or
lower right corner of the case open with your hands just
wide enough to slip the corner of the battery cover into.
DO NOT USE A SCREWDRIVER OR ANY OTHER OBJECT
TO OPEN THE CASE UNLESS YOU SERIOUSLY WANT TO
LOWER THE RESALE VALUE OF YOUR CALCULATOR.
I know it's hard to get the lower corners of the case open
that 1/4" needed to get the corner of the battery cover in,
but you can get it with your hands after 30 seconds or
so of trying.  Resist the temptation to open it with a
screwdriver or anything else.  After getting the corner of
the battery cover into the lower conner of the case, slide
the battery cover from the lower corner of the case
toward the upper corner.  You should hear a series of
loud snaps.  Nothing is breaking.  Those are auto-
release and will not break off or even get looser by
this disassembly (though I wouldn't recommend doing it
daily, I'm sure they do wear out after a few hundred
openings).  Repeat this (going from lower corner toward
upper corner) for the other side as well.  You don't have
to get the battery cover to go all the way up the case, it
should stop about 1/2" away from the top corner of the
case.  It is hard and unnecessary to release the last two
snaps (at the top of the case) with the battery cover.
Once that is done, tip the lower end of the back cover
away from the calculator and pull it straight up.  It
should come off as if it wasn't being held down by
anything.

To remove the laminated backing, remove the two small
phillips screws at the very bottom of the case, then pull
it off.  It might stick to the back of the calculator because
of the adhesive used to attach the battery instructions
or extra adhesive on the screen pad, but it is not glued
and can be pulled off fine.  Avoid catching the battery
springs when pulling it off.  To remove the screen,
remove the two mid-sized screws holding the screen
board to the main case.  The screen will then be loose
and can be peeled off from the clear cover (if there is
any extra adhesive; otherwise, it will just come off).
This is great for removing dust on the inside of the
screen.  Sometimes, the bottom of the screen will
seem to stick to the case.  This is, once again, due
to too much adhesive on the screen pad.  Peel off
the cable from the pad.  BE VERY CAREFUL OF
ALL CABLES CONNECTING THE SCREEN TO THE
MAIN BOARD.  IT'S DAMAGE TO THAT CABLE
THAT CAUSES LOST COLUMNS/ROWS.  To
remove the rest of the guts of your calculator, remove
the four small screws located on the far left and far
right center of the mainboard.  You can then lift the
entire calculator out of the case.  Once again, the
screen cable may stick to the screen pad, peel it off
carefully.  It's not supposed to be stuck to it anyway.
DO NOT TURN YOUR CALCULATOR RIGHT-SIDE
UP FROM THIS POINT ON UNLESS YOU PLAN ON
REARRANGING YOUR KEYBOARD.  Under the
mainboard is the keyboard pad.  It is not held down
in any way.  Under that is the 50 separate buttons,
not connected to each other in any way.  Feel free
to mix them up or invert them (one of my calculators
has a [NO] key).  That's just about as disassembled
as you can get.  For more information about all those
parts you can now see, visit ticalc.org.  Want to know
how to put the calculator back together?  So do I.
E-mail me if you figure it out.  (J/K)